Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Seven Ravens?

Whew! What a day. I feel like I haven't slowed down and won't have time to for a while. When and how did this happen, I wonder to myself? One day I am bobbing along doing not much of anything, the next...

Wham! Go, go, go! 

The regular routines of getting the kids up and out to start the day with some kind of breakfast thrown their way. A detour to the vet was thrown in today (checkup - no worries). I also got to dabble in paints, as an art show is coming up that my workplace will be participating in. By trying to play catch-up, I get a few more hours which are always welcome. Tuesday and Thursdays are my regular working days {work like a dog ;) }. At this rate I am going to have to invest in a new wardrobe almost. Messy, messy me is going to trash some of the questionable clothes in my repertoire of staples in the closet. I truly am not complaining though. While getting my hands dirty sometimes causes me deep-seated angst that rears its ugly head from my childhood, I am getting over it. Enough that I even volunteered to work today. Not Wednesday though. I have a date to take my girlies to visit their new school that they will be attending in September. Ahhhh! Run screaming from the thought that my little ones are growing up!!! It will all be better after I lay my head on the yoga mat that afternoon. Ohmmm. Yes.

So, I do have to admit one quick thing, before I sign off my ramble for the evening. Normally this post would have been a book review, as tonight I met with my book club. Alas, I fail today. Our book for the month was entitled "Seven Ravens: Two summers in a life by the sea", by Lesley Choyce. I have to admit that I have not finished the book as of yet. Really, I think I will struggle to finish the book. Normally I can find something good to say about most books.  By the description on the back jacket of the book, I was really looking forward to the book as well. It described the book as one man's journey through a difficult time (an undisclosed crisis) and how he works through it. 

Alas, it was all lies. Perhaps not lies, but I imagined that the book was going to be some kind of journey where the author was going to find wonderful epiphanies about life. If he did, he did not share them with us the readers. In discussing the book with fellow members of my book club, there were many who had high hopes and envisaged perhaps something akin to  "Eat, Love, Pray", by Elizabeth Gilbert. Not by a long shot. Sorry Lesley, but your book was as dry as dirt in my humble opinion. I hate admitting that (especially as I choose this particular book), but I almost fell asleep reading it last night in a desperate attempt to finish it for this evening's festivities. My eyes refused to cooperate and were shutting of their own volition. They did not want to be assaulted by the boring text and refused to play. I never fall asleep while reading, but I gave last night. Sigh... I will try to finish the book at some point, but I think that perhaps it is just time to move on. Better luck for the next book. 

As per our discussion this evening, perhaps we will just hold out hopes that year 2 of our little book club will bring some finer literature to the table. We are going to go the route of genres next year. My genre is poetry, which I love, but fear may be painful for some in our clan. Perhaps if you have any favourite poets out there you could send me a line for me to entice my reluctant readers with. What say you?
   

7 comments:

  1. eh if you read enough you will hit those books...how about some nikki giovanni....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is too short to read bad books. I say if it doesn't grab you, move on! Too many great ones awaiting your attention! :)

    PS - I fall asleep reading ALL THE TIME, even when the book is good. It drives me crazy...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to join a book club. I've been saying for years that I'm going to, one of these days! Have a great week, get some yoga in between those hectic work days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I borrow that book please. I suffer from chronic insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try this version of the Seven Ravens instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Ravens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually my test for a good book is when it grabs me at least by the end of the first chapter.

    I too had a very busy week. I cannot believe it's already June, can you? Time sure does fly!

    Have a wonderful day, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello all.
    *Suzi, I love my book club! If you get the opportunity, it is a lot of fun (or at least ours is). We drink wine, nibble on delicious munchies and gab about the book and life in general (minus kids!) One of my favourite nights of the month.
    *I think I am going to have to move on C. I have some other sleep inducers handy, but I keep hoping for something a little more upbeat.
    *I am going to have to look her up Brian. Thanks!
    *Ha! I looked up that story and I think it would have gone over WAY better Anon. You are welcome to the book!
    *I cannot believe how fast May flew by Ron! Crazy. I will try to grab some smiles when I can. You too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails