Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Remembering October

Ok, I am totally jamming out tonight. Alan Cross is on the radio with a listen to the history of ska. For those that are not familiar with ska, it is akin to reggae and rocksteady, but boppier. It is also an older musical form. There is a very distinct off beat and there is almost always a heavy influence in the brass department (trombones and trumpets) as well we saxophone, guitar, bass guitar and drums. Big artists were Desmond Dekker, English Beat, The Specials, Prince Buster, Toots and the Maytals, the Skatalites, Madness, The Clash continuing on up to more recently The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones and No Doubt. There has been several different waves of ska, from the original styles that came out of Jamaica in the 1950s and 60s, to the British Two-Tone Invasion in the 70s with other waves in the 80s and the 90s finally making some headway into the US. I want to share something, but am struggling as to what might work best. I love older ska, which has a certain heavy hand in swing, but grew up with The Specials and English Beat. "Mirror in the Bathroom" was a frequent request at high school dances. I think that I will go back to some of the origins though with a taste of Desmond Dekker, arguably one of the kings of ska that had a wide influence on the music of the day and musicians that fall under other umbrellas from reggae, to punk  with many things in between. Enjoy!



~~~~~
PS. You were right Patti. I went to bed and had another poem running round my head. I will share this one with you and the good folks at OneShot.

October Goodbyes


Her words whipped away
in the October air;
Unseasonably warm for
   this day.

Water fell to Earth
piled high in preparation,
but not quite ready for
   this moment.

A pop and a fizz
slowly saluted you while
tears, words, flowers and lager offered
   this goodbye.

Strength carried her
on unseen wings
into tomorrow's world
   with sorrow.

Gleefully released little ones
scooped clodfuls of dirt up
under parent's watchful eye
   with sweet sadness.

Children's laughter and scrabbling fingers
remembered, responded and rejoiced
filling memory's hole
   with joy.

The wind kissed her limp hair
with soft hands that waved goodbye
to a wife's sagging shoulders
   for eternity.


*Blessed be the children for they go where we fear to tread with innocence and love. Their purity and innocence lighten any moments from birth to death...


  

10 comments:

  1. LoveloveLOVE the Ska (although not the new stuff so much. No Doubt and The MMBT do little for me, I'm afraid. Bah, I'm old and jaded, though!).

    Haha...you may remember my fondness? Digging up English Beat, Madness and The Specials t-shirts at the headshops in T.O. all those years ago...ahhh, good times. :)

    PS - glad you found your poem. That one was worth digging for. Lovely.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. do like some ska...and that last little note, so true...i remember my oldest (maybe 5 at the time) when Ts mom died....called her sleeping beauty...he also comforted others by saying she was in heaven...broke my heart...lovely verse...glad it found you in your sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a ska sampler running on youtube since then (love Dekker, Toots, and Prince Buster, but also the Two-Tone boys).

    The poem got a little more revision, and could probably still use some more, but it insisted on me waking up to put it down on paper, so I listen in moments like that. Hugs to both of you C and Brian. Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kkrige:

    Well we weren't the last this time but close,-- your poem is solid and strong, sad, and filled with grace and elegance.

    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem....I love what you write!! and the way you write! The music was good to..but the poem? loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for that song - haven't heard that one is eons!

    The poem is lovely and touching and sad. Saying goodbye with love and laughter has got to be the most honorable way of all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad it worked for you too. Keep it in mind the next time the muse decides to nap.

    But, wow, when your muse woke up (or maybe she was just getting even, saying, "if I can't sleep, you can't sleep), she was just inspired. This was such a poignant piece. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. * Hey Joanny. As you say, last but certainly not least! I have some visiting to do, as I was busy with a fashion show all day today, but I will check in to see what I missed tomorrow.

    * Aww, thanks Debbie. I was recounting the goodbyes to my husband from a few years ago. It was a sad, but poignant day.

    *Hi Talon. It was very sad and difficult, but I waited just over a year after my husband dies to bury him and that made it marginally easier. Never easy though. The kids served to lighten the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. * Hi Pattiken
    As soon as I went to bed, I had lines creep through my head. They chanted through my mind and chanted through my mind until I turned the light back on and wrote them down. The images aren't hard to call forth, but the feelings are harder to put into words. thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well done.. I enjoyed reading it. Words like "The wind kissed her limp hair
    with soft hands that waved goodbye..."

    ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Om Namah Shivaya
    Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
    Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails