Friday, October 8, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Summer clothes have been put away. Sweaters and socks have been pulled out and freshly laundered. Winter coats and boots have been sized out and wait for the first flecks of snow that will tinge the air. This past week we saw much rain in my part of the world. Blissfully sunshine streamed through windows yesterday and today. Thanksgiving weekend promises to be a wonderful one and for that I give thanks. : D 

Despite the rain, I wandered through the garden this week in a spare moment. Frost has not bade goodbye to growth and colour in my world as of yet. I was pleasantly surprised to find many plants still flourishing. Today I share my soggy sojourn in the garden with you. I shall be off to my sister's house this weekend stuffing myself full of turkey and mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and pumpkin beer. Happy Friday and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends!


Toad Lilies



Toad lilies are some of my favourite fall flowers. They are quite delicate looking, but serve to brighten up the rather dull surroundings this time of year.








Dahlia



This gentle dahlia might be shyly hiding its bloom, but it still brings smiles to my face.









  
Berries on the Burning Bush





The burning bush offers up some treats for any bird who happens to have a yen.
Thistle



Oops, missed one! A nasty thistle will make anyone howl in pain if they don't watch their step in my front yard.







Common Dandelion: Waiting to blow its babies throughout the yard




Next years crops should be bountiful with this little guy ready to let fly with his seeds of renewal. Oh well, yellow carpets are pretty, I guess.

5 comments:

  1. smiles. nice garden you got there...except maybe that thistle weed...ouch...and i like the little puff balls...not necessarily that they sread so much as just to watch the fly (into the neighbors yard, smiles.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Kat. :)
    xo
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! I was just admiring my toad lilies this afternoon and also marvelling at the phlox which just keep blooming away. Love the photos!

    Isn't the sun a blessing? It sure makes a difference in a day! A glorious weekend for giving thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. * hmmm, well my neighbours are pretty decent so I don't wish all my crops on them Brian. They are a pretty flower for the kids to collect in the spring too.

    * Hugs C. Happy gobble gobble to you too!

    * Don't you just love toad lilies Talon! I think they are the neatest looking plants and just add so much to an otherwise sometimes drab garden at this time of year. I still have a little phlox showing off its pink in the front yard too. Thanks for popping by and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails