Monday, February 21, 2011

A Stolen Heart

“Sheets,” I exclaimed. “Look, there is actual sheets on the beds!”
“And mosquito nets too,” I added, fingering the delicate gauze material that hung from the roof of the thatch hut.
“Pretty sweet mate,” Brett nodded as he dropped his back pack onto the matching twin bed on his side of the hut.
A man materialized at the door with the lemonade we had requested.
“Thanks Joey,” I said as he placed the tray on the sturdy wooden table and set the two tall glasses down.
“Can I get you anything else?” he asked yet again. We had been here a handful of  minutes, yet Joey had already taken our dinner orders, retrieved pillows for our luxurious looking beds and shown us every courtesy he could. I could tell that our 50 kwacha a night was going to be the best money I had ever spent.  
After double checking that we had everything we needed yet again, Joey bowed, then quietly walked back in the direction of the kitchen. I caught sight of the swish of a colourful sarong disappearing around a corner, then turned back to our room.
“This is going to be awesome,” Brett declared as he bounced on the bed with a laugh. “What should we do first?”
“I need to jump in the lake,” I declared.
The sparkling lake beckoned just a stone’s throw from our hut. Brett stepped onto the porch to give me a minute to change, then we headed down to the beach. Dropping my towel, sunglasses, journal and pen, I ran to the lake’s edge and splashed in to my thighs, before diving head long into the warm waters of Lake Malawi.
I burst through the water’s surface and smiled my face up to the sun. In a pure moment of joy, I kicked out and drifted on my back gazing at the Malawian sky that surrounded me. The sandy beach lay behind me, with its cluster of neat little huts tucked amongst green palm trees. Looking further out into the lake, I saw men in mokoros fishing for the myriad of fish that called this place home. I idly drifted my legs back and forth to gently propel myself along and luxuriated in the moment.
There was no place I had to go. There was nothing pressing that I had to do. I did not even have to worry about what to scrounge up for dinner, as Joey was presenting us with seafood crepes that evening. Later, he would trek across the sandy expanse from the kitchen to our hut, with delightful home-made cuisine on a covered silver platter, but right now there was just me and a serenity that I cherished with all my heart. The warm heart of Africa had stolen mine.

Joey’s Seafood Crepes (for one)

·         2 small eggs
·         ¾  cup flour
·         Pinch of salt
·         ¾  cup  milk
·         1 tsp baking powder
·         1 Tbsp oil

*Beat the eggs until smooth, then add flour and salt stirring
*Add milk and oil until smooth
*cook crepes and set aside

Filling:
·         Cut-up pieces of kampango or chambo (fish)
·         1 clove of Garlic
·         1 cup of milk
·         1 Tbsp of cheese (white sauce)
·         1 ½ Tbsp butter
·         1 medium onion

*Fry fish and set aside(can substitute chicken or meat)
*Cook remaining ingredients, then add fish back in and simmer for 10-15 min
*pour filling onto crepe, wrap it up and serve

Delicious!

19 comments:

  1. That must have been like heaven, Katherine! Those crepes sound scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this read and I love crepes myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Talon: I think that Mwaya Beach was just about my favourite place in Africa. This little village epitomized the reason why Malawi referred to as the "warm heart of Africa".

    And yes, the crepes were to die for! Especially as we had been subsisting on bread and peanut butter mostly. So, so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to dive into a lake too -- even knowing there are fish in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Neva: Why thank you Neva. These ones were pretty yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mijayami: Wow, that is a compliment, as I know how much you hate fish!

    @Mama Zen: The joy of real food being served to us; breakfast, lunch and dinner - was heavenly. Joey was an amazing cook and I wrote down several of his recipes before we left MZ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine, I wonder what would be better -- a lake close to the hut, or seafood crepes. Did I ever mention I absolutely LOVE seafood crepes!?? So so so savory.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice...a brief respite in your journey...oh i know it would steal mine as well...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Katherine, as I was reading this I was instantly transported; enjoying this beautiful moment!

    "I burst through the water’s surface and smiled my face up to the sun. In a pure moment of joy...."

    Aaaaaaaah!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jannie: The best part was that I got both Jannie! And someone to make them, serve them, take away the dishes and do it all with a smile. Oh, reminiscing makes me pretty lustful right about now. Memories...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Brian: If you do ever get away to Africa, this is the place you need to go Brian. It was beautiful, lush and relatively unspoilt by the NGOs that left a wake of beggars in their swath with their version of aid in the 90s. They even have a volunteer program that is run in Mwaya Beach now that sounds wonderful for anyone who wants to run away and save a corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ron: You and me both buddy. I love recounting these stories as I get to go back to these places that are tucked into long-forgotten memory banks. Thanks for coming along on the journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Welshpoet: Why thank you WP. I am glad you enjoyed the yarn I spin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was born and raised in central Africa...you made me miss home!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Debbie: Really? I didn't know that Debbie. That is a pretty big compliment you just offered me there by the way, as your words tell me that I crafted a pretty life-like setting. Sorry for the missing home, but I would love to hear more about your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, such a glorious escape from our winter-- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Mairmusic: These stories certainly help to transport me from the icy breath that lingers outside my door. Brrr. Thanks for stopping by Marilynn.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails