Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Snow in April


Thunder rumbles outside my window.
Sheets of rain wash away winter grime.
Scrape the world clean.
I wait for the memories of snow to be washed away with it,
but it is cold outside.
So cold.


I want to wrap myself in Springtime, 
dance nimbly through the crocuses,
but
they are too chilled
afraid of what might yet unfold 
- certainly no petals today...


So I watch big fat droplets
run down  the window.
Give thanks 
that they are not yesterday's snowflakes
and perhaps will yet bring those promised
May flowers to bloom





'cus Easter is this weekend
and there still ain't no daffodils in my yard
nor leaves unfurling anywhere
but in my dreams
this April
snow - pfft


9 comments:

  1. this is madness...think i will box up a bit of the 80+ degrees it is supposed to be here tomorrow and ship it to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the very tip-top of my backyard, where the afternoon sun shines the longest, I have one lone daffodil waving madly in the wind. The rest are definitely too scared to come out and play. Longest, hardest, most never-ending-est (sure, it's a word!) winter/spring.

    I want a humidex reading, darn it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brian: Oh Brian! I love you!!!!

    PLEASE! Please, send me just a smidgen of that! Oh, I would be forever grateful. They are talking rain and temperatures hovering around the freezing mark. I cannot take much more :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Me: Oh Ms C. I so hear you. This weather just plain stinks! Maybe I will have flowers before the end of April (if I'm lucky!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mama Zen: It is so damn wrong that the whole city is grumbling this week. I have tempted fates though and had my snow tires taken off today. It is the end of April for goodness sake! Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess this year you have to look at a picture of daffodils for Easter - I thought it was a joke when someone had posted "snow"
    Stop already

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a year this has been. Snow in April is so wrong. I remember a couple of really horrible ice storms... in May. The summer that followed was magnificent. I'm holding that thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Moondustwriter: I wish it was a joke Leslie! I took my snow tires off of my vehicle. I hope I don't regret it, but it is the end of April already! Ridiculous!!

    @Pattiken: Me too Patti! last year the daffodils were come and gone by now! My forsythia is blooming I noticed, but not much else is willing to peek too far out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails