Sunday, April 3, 2011

Speed Posted - SLOW

Monotone of wiper song
Swish, swish,
Swish

Ping, pling
of icy pellets bouncing
their lax suggestions

Jarred back
by tires aloft
ditchside
that ceased spinning
as I passed
~

I made it home in one piece from a weekend jaunt to Michigan. The drive home was not fun though. The speed was slow and there were constant reminders in the ditch that slow was the speed to go.  Chilling. I would rather grip the wheel a little tighter for a little longer, than sail spinning wheels through the air in the slush that filled the world and slicked the highways today. The OPP and Michigan Highway Patrol were earning their pay cheques on this sloppy day, pulling people from stuck vehicles galore. I do not relish them their jobs, but am glad that they were making some poor folks days a little better. They deserve accolades on this miserable, wet Sunday.  I am grateful that I am home and get to wish you a Happy Sunday 160. May you all be safe and snug for another day.

10 comments:

  1. HA! Love your Sunday 160, Katherine!

    I could hear that swish, swish, swish...pling, plng!

    So, you went to Michigan? Oy...what a drive that must have been, especially in that weather.

    Glad to hear you made it home in one piece, my friend! I bet you'll sleep good tonight in your own snuggly bed.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. oy, glad you made it home ok...it is spring right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ron: I think that I am already asleep Ron. I was lulled into a trance by the wipers. It was only alleviated by the constant reminders to stay alert lying prone in the ditches around me. A nasty drive home, but I am so looking forward to bed.

    @Brian: I think that it looked more like November out there today. Despite the calendar saying April, I fear the grass will never get a chance to grow! I will be glad when the snow is finally behind us. Hope you had a nice weekend Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is with this CRAZY weather. It's the apocalyptic armagedom ;-)

    Thanks for playing along with the Sunday 160 and glad your drive was safe if not uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm constantly impressed with the people who help others in trouble. I really liked your post and especially the story behind the story. So glad you made it safely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gets to me about driving in that part of the country in bad weather is the weird way traffic tends to clump them spread rhythmically with people suddenly slowing for no apparent reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Monkey Man: So am I MM. It was certainly a longer drive than normal, but I was never so happy as to get out of the van at the end of that trip. Phew!

    @Pheromone Girl: Hi PG. Thanks for stopping by. I could not believe how many cars I saw on the side of the road.It was such a slippery drive and the constant reminders to pay attention were pretty sobering. Glad that there were people available to help those many stranded souls.

    @Alice Audrey: Well, any time I passed flashing lights, the traffic slowed considerably. There weren't too many people speeding though, as even the faster cars were still going 20km under the posted speed. I think everyone just figured it was easier to stay in the tracks laid ahead of them, than try to slip slide through fresh slop, especially after seeing so many accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That scares me to death!
    Glad you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it, because you manage to convey the message you want through showing...not through telling. This is extremely important-not all writers succeed in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mama Zen: Scared YOU! Geez, I put my head on the steering wheel and just breathed for a few minutes when we pulled into the driveway. Ugly, ugly drive.

    @Maria Papadopoulou: Why thank you Maria. That is a lovely thing to say and I appreciate the compliment.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails