Monday, January 16, 2012

The Trip Home


The last of my days in Africa slipped through my fingers. We returned to Cape Town and I managed to sneak in a few more visits here and there. I visited with my cousin Greg, went out to my aunt’s house for a last cup of tea with her and enjoyed a final braai with my uncle’s clan. It was heart-wrenching to let go of the continent, that I felt like I was just beginning to get to know, but it was also time. I had been gone for ten months and my homeland called to me. I longed to see my mother’s face, to feel my sister’s hug and to hear my friend’s excited banter. To know that this new continent that I had come to love would be so far away in a matter of days was bewildering, but acceptance tamed my qualms. It had to.

A phone call arranged a layover in Germany to visit with an old dear friend on my return flight. I would have a week to decompress and adjust to life away from Africa, before winging back to Canadian shores. It all felt so lacklustre, but I tried to muster up a little excitement at the prospect of seeing a long-lost friend and catching up on her life and times. I wondered though, how I would process stepping onto European soil after my earthy African adventures that spanned the southern half of the continent. Europe would be like a different world. Of course Canada would be an adjustment all over again the week later.

For now though, I tried to imprint every image, taste, feel and smell of this land that had gotten under my skin. The concept of leaving was akin to abandoning a homeland that I dearly loved and feared I would never see again. Africa was home to my soul and I ached at the thought of leaving. The fates refused to give me reason to stay though and I begrudgingly packed the last of my things, adding last minute trinkets to my battered backpack to keep Africa close forever.

On August 29th the last full moon arose to wish me adieu to the continent of my dreams. The following day, I drove to the airport with kin that would forever hold a piece of my heart. With a few strings pulled, I was upgraded to the luxury of Business Class and slid into the ample seat with a sad sigh. A flight attendant materialized with a champagne glass topped off with orange juice and a smile. I peered out the window of the plane, tipped my glass to Table Mountain and let a tear slide down my cheek in farewell. I was going home, but leaving a heart-space behind. All the moments that I had lived in this amazing continent seared into my brain as the jumbo jet lifted off the ground. Just like my first flight, there would be no sleep on the return journey. With aching soul, I left a piece of me behind, but more importantly, took a bigger piece of Africa with me. It would always be, and continues to this day, to be a part of my heart. 

14 comments:

  1. ...and mine!
    Such evocative writing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Possum: Thanks for being part of the journey Possum. I can't believe I am on the plane. Kind of a sad moment all over again to be saying goodbye :(

      Delete
  2. wow congrats on drawing us to a nice close k...def looking for my copy once you publish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Brian: Frig, now the hard part begins Brian - editing! And finding a publisher? Egad. I will keep you posted on whether or not this process breaks me or not.

      Delete
  3. Well, I think the 24 bottles of Pfluemli and the bottle of South African wine we drank were pretty good at helping you adjust :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mijayami: I remember that stuff! It was yummy. And if I recall, I think I had a case of wine that was smuggled into my backpack somehow. Thanks for picking me up at the airport at 6:45am. :p

      Delete
  4. Katherine, I got a bit emotional while reading this post because I feel as though I took this trip with you via reading your posts this past year, therefore I could FEEL your sadness in leaving.

    This sentence totally rang familiar with me....

    "I peered out the window of the plane, tipped my glass to Table Mountain and let a tear slide down my cheek in farewell."

    That's EXACTLY what happened to me when I left Japan, after being there for 2 1/2 months. I literally cried while the plane was pulling away from the gate.

    Also.....

    "I wondered though, how I would process stepping onto European soil after my earthy African adventures that spanned the southern half of the continent."

    Same here. In fact, it took me MONTHS to get use to being back in the States again. I know this sounds odd, but I actually didn't like being back at first because the 'energy' of Japan had become a part of my soul, and it was so completely different than the 'energy' in the U.S.

    But, eventually I adapted again.

    Can't wait to read more, my friend! I don't want this story to END :(

    Hope you had a FAB Monday.......X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ron: You know Ron, I really enjoyed the process of writing this story. For me it was like a holiday stepping back in time to a different world. I didn't want to write this post today, because I don't want to say goodbye to Africa again. I know there will be editing still to go through, but it won't be the same. Thank you so much for journeying with me, as the support I received helped the tale unfurl. I wrote it for me, but I also knew that people were journeying along with me, and I tried to help you all to be there with me.

      Regardless of how this tale ultimately ends, I feel like I have fulfilled a life goal that I never thought I would reach. Thank you for tagging along.
      (((Ron)))

      Delete
  5. I look forward to receiving my signed first edition, Katherine. You are an inspiration, congrats for putting this adventure down on the page. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Me: You got it baby. :) I woke up at 6am, due to a neighbour blaring his radio outside (#@%@#%) and couldn't go back to sleep. Why, you wonder? I was editing, adding and arranging my book in my head. :P

      Delete
  6. Wow. I have cried in my window seat of a plane as it departs. I'm not ready for the African adventures to be over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Stranger: "I'm not ready for the African adventures to be over."

      Neither am I! I am not ready to hang up my backpack again. Maybe I will have to start writing about other travel adventures now. Hmmm...

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful writing and lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Short Poems: Why thank you. So kind of you to stop by. I will have to return the favour. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails