Friday, February 3, 2012

First Stop on the Author Trail

The audience shifted in their seats. Excitement crackled round the room and filled the air with expectation. Gentle murmurs were heard in anticipation of the stories to come. A throat was cleared. A chair scraped.

Then silence...

This was it. It was my first stop on the author tour.

"Allow me to introduce...
        Rylie's Mom!"

*~~~*

Isn't this how all famous authors get their start? They get ten minutes of fame on the kindergarten circuit before fading into oblivion once again. Well if this was it for me, I went out with a blaze of glory that included take home gifts of personalized fan mail in the form of cheetah pictures by all my baby's classmates. Plus,  they hung on every word of my African tales, with eyes like saucers on the gory details.

And darn it all, it felt good! 

Heck, I even managed that riveting account in 55 words (in case you didn't notice), so go tell G-Man & see what he has to say! Any bets it will be something about a Kick-Ass weekend?





CT2T6KNGN4JC

13 comments:

  1. haha...love story time at school...and 10 min of fame at the school works just fine with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Then silence...

    This was it. It was my first stop on the author tour.

    "Allow me to introduce...
    Rylie's Mom!"

    OMG.....how CUTE, Katherine!

    ((((( You )))))

    ' Plus, they hung on every word of my African tales, with eyes like saucers on the gory details."

    Yup....and I'm not at all surprised about that!

    Honestly, what a delightful day that sounded like.

    Have a faaaaaaabulous weekend, my friend!

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ron: I was practically dragged into class the week before with her begging me to ask her teacher if I could come in to share stories. They had been doing a theme on cheetahs, so this was a perfect fit. All the cheetah-clad kids were a'goggle at the pics, but even moreso on the tales. :)

      Delete
  3. Thats how all the big ones get their start Kat!
    Author Author!!!!!
    Loved your 55
    Better late than never...
    Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @G-Man: It felt like the perfect place to start too G. Now I just have to get it done!

      Delete
  4. So awesome Katherine! Any repeat showings planned? Are you planning a tour?

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Laura: Hopefully some day, but I have to get a done copy in my hot little hands first.

      Delete
  5. Ha. Hope you kept some of the more risque stories for the 1st graders. :)

    Excellent, I am so glad your daughter's class enjoyed your tales. It is not easy to entertain small people, so I would take it as a huge compliment and a sign of great things to come! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the scary part....the silence and expectation as you clear your throat. Good 55!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Me: The best part was all the parents asking me how it went that afternoon, followed up by hearing tell of kids wanting their parents to come in to speak now. Impression - OFF THE CHARTS! haha

    @Yvonne: I figured it was a much easier audience to start with, but maybe not. Regardless, it helps build the confidence for potential future tours where my voice will probably disappear into a squeak! Thanks for stopping by Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, it's a start. Rylie's class, Barnes & Noble... same thing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @PattiKen: :) Thanks Patti. Stress level might go up at B&N though

      Delete

I love comments. Talk to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails